Compassionate, Dedicated Divorce Attorneys Serving GA Since 2011
We Can Handle All Your Adoption Needs in Georgia
The adoption process is tricky with multiple layers of legal ramifications and issues that need to be addressed. Handling this process all on your own can be extremely daunting, and this is where our talented family law attorneys at Poydasheff & Sowers, LLC come in. Our knowledgeable team has years of experience advocating for clients during the adoption process.
At Poydasheff & Sowers, LLC, our Columbus adoption attorneys understand that no two families are the same. When we take on an adoption case, we make sure to understand our clients’ individual situation. The professionalism, knowledge, and attention to detail we provide each of our clients has earned us a reputation for quality representation.
If you are looking to adopt, contact our team at (706) 705-5777 and we can help get the process started.
Understanding Georgia’s Adoption Procedure
The state of Georgia has complex statutes in place for adoptions that our attorneys want to make sure you understand. We pride ourselves on our premier ability to inform each of our clients their full rights under the law. Our goal with this information is to empower you so that you can make the best choice for your family.
A few things you should know about Georgia adoption law include:
- Any single adult over the age of 25, married couple, or stepparent is legally eligible to adopt a child.
- All prospective parents must submit to a home study to determine if your family is ready to adopt a child.
- Parental consent is not always required but the parental rights of the birth parents must be legally terminated.
- The exact amount of the adoption expenses vary but an itemized accounting of the expenses must be provided to the court.
You must be at least 10 years older than the child you are hoping to adopt. Additionally, Georgia does not require the child to live in your home before the finalization of the adoption.
The Home Study Process
In Georgia, the home study process includes a minimum of 3 visits on separate days. All members of the family must be present and interviewed during this process.
The person conducting the home study usually gathers the following information:
- Reasoning behind adopting
- Physical descriptions and social backgrounds of each family member in the home
- An evaluation of parenting practices
- Summaries of each family member’s medical history and any current conditions
- An assessment of each family member’s emotional and mental health
- An evaluation of the understanding of and adjustment to adoptive parenting
- A description of the home and community
- Statements regarding the results of criminal background checks
- Three character references
Compassionate & Skilled Adoption Lawyers
Poydasheff & Sowers, LLC relishes the opportunity to help families navigate the arduous adoption process through a tailored approach that is in the best interest of your family.
Contact Poydasheff & Sowers, LLC Today
If you have been searching for a law firm in Columbus, GA that can effectively and efficiently guide you through your legal matter, look no further. At Poydasheff & Sowers, LLC, our attorneys offer caring, compassionate, and skilled guidance to help you obtain a positive outcome to your case.
Read Real Reviews
"I'd recommend this law firm very highly!"Spencer C.
"Great firm with great staff! Tim Sowers was very helpful and knowledgeable. He handled my case and had it settled very quickly!"Victoria D.
"I chose to use this firm to handle my legal matter. They continue to be helpful and responsive years later when I have had questions about the paperwork."Former Client