Compassionate, Dedicated Divorce Attorneys Serving GA Since 2011
Child Custody Lawyers in Columbus, GA
Helping Modify Child Custody Agreements in Georgia
When you call Poydasheff & Sowers, LLC for help creating or changing your child custody arrangement, you will be met with kind, professional, personalized service. We have more than 60 years of collective experience guiding families through difficult times. As experienced family lawyers in Columbus, GA, we understand how daunting and emotionally taxing family legal matters can be, and it is our mission to point you in the right direction and give you wise counsel you can trust.
No matter the difficult situation you’ve found yourself in, Columbus child custody attorney have what it takes to help you work toward achieving your best interests and the best interests of your children.
Reach out to us by calling (706) 705-5777 today to schedule an appointment with one of our Columbus, GA child custody attorneys.
The Process of Modifying Child Custody Arrangements in Georgia
When seeking an initial child custody agreement, parents are required to submit to the court a detailed schedule, strategy for communication between parents, and an explanation of how parents’ time, responsibilities, and decision-making power will be divided.
However, even the best laid plans may be subject to revision when one or both parents’ circumstances change. In such cases, child custody modifications may be necessary in order to ensure child custody arrangements maintain the best interests of children and their parents.
Depending on the nature of the modification you are seeking, the process may vary. You can seek modification if you are looking to:
- Change visitation rights: You do not have to prove that your circumstances have changed if you are seeking to change your visitation arrangement or your allotted parenting time; however, you may only make such a request once every two years.
- Change custody arrangements: You do have to demonstrate that your circumstances have changed significantly when petitioning the court to change your custody arrangement, and you must also prove that the modifications you’re asking for are in your child’s best interest.
- Create new parenting plans: If you are petitioning to make a change, you must propose an entirely new parenting plan and submit it to the court for consideration, which will require the assistance of an experienced family law attorney.
- Relocate a great distance away: Either parent is always permitted to have a modification hearing if one is seeking to move somewhere else, and the parent seeking to move to a new house in the area or to a new area entirely must provide 30 days’ notice to anyone with parental, custodial, or visitation rights.
- Request custody changes based on a child’s wishes: In cases involving children age 14 and up, a child may choose which parent he or she would like to live with, and a child may request to change the custody arrangement at any time. The child’s wishes are not necessarily determinative, but the court will consider them and evaluate whether the proposed new arrangement is in the child’s best interest.
- Revise based on a notice of military deployment: Parents who are to be deployed as part of military service must give at least two weeks’ notice, if possible, so the court may issue a temporary custody arrangement.
Contact a Columbus, GA Child Custody Attorney Today
At Poydasheff & Sowers, LLC, our Columbus child custody lawyers is here to answer all your questions. Our child support and child custody attorneys in Columbus have many years of experience practicing family law and can help put your mind at ease by providing reliable advice and insight every step of the way.
Call (706) 705-5777 or fill out our online contact form today to speak to a family lawyer in Columbus, Georgia.
Contact Poydasheff & Sowers, LLC Today
If you have been searching for a law firm in Columbus, GA that can effectively and efficiently guide you through your legal matter, look no further. At Poydasheff & Sowers, LLC, our attorneys offer caring, compassionate, and skilled guidance to help you obtain a positive outcome to your case.
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (706) 705-5777.
Read Real Reviews
"Rob listened, was compassionate and knowledgeable. He is very professional and has a great paralegal Caroline, who helped me navigate the proceedings and basically held my hand through the whole process"Elizabeth M.
"A meticulous and “can-do” attorney Rob adroitly handled the probate of my mother's estate with care, compassion, and consideration."Barry C.
"Great firm with outstanding service and professionalism. Their staff is top notch and would highly recommend to friends and family!"Meg G.
Robert S. Poydasheff, Jr. Read Full Bio
Timothy J. Sowers Read Full Bio
John S Brewer, III Read Full Bio